The Strike and its demands give a unique framework for grassroots women and girls to express our needs whatever our situation, race, nationality, age, income, occupation, dis/ability, sexual preference . . . in towns and cities but also in villages, where most of us live. We hope that whatever demands you highlight or add, you will list them ALL. The demands unite everyone taking part in the
Strike, and to each local action they bring international power. The anti-globalization, anti-war movement, to which women are contributing so much hard work and energy, is just beginning to recognize that Invest in Caring not Killing is a perspective for winning.
There has never been so much wealth in the world and there have never been so many of us, starting with women and children, who have nothing. At this crucial moment, we women must make our voices heard and our collective power felt. DemAnDS:
– Payment for all caring work – in wages, pensions, land & other resources. What is more valuable than raising children and caring for others? Invest in life and welfare, not military budgets or prisons
– Pay equity for all, women and men, in the global market. Food security for breastfeeding mothers, paid maternity leave and maternity breaks. Stop penalizing us for being women.
– Don’t pay ‘Third World debt’. We owe nothing, they owe us.
– Accessible clean water, healthcare, housing, transport, literacy.
– Non-polluting energy & technology which shortens the hours we work. We all need cookers, fridges, washing machines, computers, & time off!
– Protection & asylum from all violence & persecution, including by family members & people in positions of authority.
– Freedom of movement. Capital travels freely, why not people?
Why go on STrIKe?
Women do the work of giving birth to, feeding and caring for the whole world. Those in whom we have invested our lives are slaughtered as ‘collateral damage’ or turned into killing machines. And so we have been central to every anti-war movement. It is a disaster that only half the human race is trained to care and the other half told it has ‘more important things to do’. As corporate power and its wars threaten every corner of all our lives, people everywhere have formed massive movements – to reclaim our
land and our planet, and to stop the theft (via privatization) of water, seeds, genes. . . The global Women’s Strike, women’s independent voice in this great movement, reclaims military spending for caring, feeding, healing, learning.
A world which values all women’s work and all women’s lives.